Who Am I?

My photo
Writer, director, musician, and multimedia junkie. www.felixemartinez.com © 2008-2009 F.E.M.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Tuesday, July 15, 2008

    Will The Real "Grain-Raper" Please Stand Up?

    Awright, I'm gonna try and give this "grain-rape" stuff a reprieve, but there's been an interesting development I can't resist highlighting: an individual connected with the post house that "grain-raped" the Patton and The Longest Day Blu-ray releases has spoken up over at HighDefForum.com. Check out the posts by "1080PsF."

    The attitude displayed just boggles the mind.

    About the rush job:
    "It was a lot of work for a bunch of people here at where we did it. I even pulled a 39 hour shift to get it out the door. We did the scan and all of the work to make the master that was sent out to make the BD's. We also did "The longest day" at the same time but I never did even get a chance to see either movie all way through after we finished them."
    About the elements (emphasis mine):
    "It was from the 65mm film and it was a 4K scan and no it didn't have all of the film grain. I can't say everything we did to it, but we scan each frame one at a time and those frames are recorded on a SAN and then we have someone QC the reel of film off of the SAN to note all of the dirt and problem items. We repair all of the items that were listed, after that someone does another QC pass to make sure all of the items listed were fixed. Then it was recorded on an HDCAM SR (4:4:4) from the SAN, that tape is also QC'ed and then it is sent to Panasonic to make the Blu-ray disks. I don't work on the computer side or the film side I'm only a tape guy. Some people like this transfer and some don’t. Grain isn't something magic it's a limitation of the film. I have never liked film and never will, I can’t wait until it is never used again, but that’s just me. When I look at the world I don’t see grain, I see a nice clear view."
    Wow. Just wow. Personally, I don't see dissolves or slo-mo in real life either, "but that's just me."

    Comments? Thoughts?

    No comments:

    © 2008 Felix E. Martinez