Who Am I?

My photo
Writer, director, musician, and multimedia junkie. www.felixemartinez.com © 2008-2009 F.E.M.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, July 9, 2008

    Grain Is Good; Grain Is God

    There are some folks in the entertainment industry that believe the general public rejects the presence of film grain on hi-def (i.e. Blu-ray) releases. I've posted recently about some of the home video atrocities committed in the name of this religion.

    Maybe I'm feeling optimistic today, but I recall a time in the not-too-distant past when DVDs of major films were released pan and scanned or not enhanced for 16:9 displays. I think this goes some way in proving that Joe and Jane Public do indeed care about letterboxing. And I think they will care about seeing grain, too - if we educate them.

    So, I propose a new religion. I'm picturing a bumper sticker. No, better yet: a label on Blu-ray cases - as part of the cover artwork or a sticker; makes no difference to me - that's similar to the little blurb we saw on audio CDs during the 1980s (paraphrase mine):

    "This motion picture was created using the photochemical film system. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the look of the original elements. Because of its high resolution, this Blu-ray Disc can reveal grain and other analog attributes of the source."
    All kneel and repeat after me: "Grain is good; grain Is God."

    Or - for the agnostic, how about a T-shirt:








    No comments:

    © 2008 Felix E. Martinez